Luca's meaningless thoughts   SponsorGitHub SponsorsLiberapayPaypalBuy Me A CoffeePatreonFlattr

More adventures with the N900

by Leandro Lucarella on 2011- 12- 18 19:30 (updated on 2011- 12- 18 19:30)
tagged en, fix, floss, hardware, linux, maemo, n900, nokia, notification, skype, software, sound - with 0 comment(s)

OK, after I recovered my phone without needing to reflash once, I was even much closer to do it again because of a new problem.

After missing an appointment and arriving at work about 3 hours late, I realized my phone stopped reproducing sound and vibrating when an alarm was fired. At first I thought I put the alarm incorrectly but then I verified that the alarm was not working. I still got a popup with the alarm message, but no sound or vibration.

So... Time to debug the problem. After searching a lot, I couldn't find anybody with my same problem, I found similar, but not the same, so I decided to report a bug. I got a very fast but useless response. Great!

Making long story short, I finally found some IRC channels and mailing lists where I could find a more opensourceish support that the one provided in the forums and bugzilla. So I'm happy I finally found a place where you can talk to actual developers.

I commented my problem and just after a very trivial but extremely useful suggestion (installing syslogd), I could trace the origin or the problem and fix it (I just love you strace!).

I also had another problem, suddenly the skype calls stopped working. Again the syslog helped a lot. Unfortunately I didn't save the exact syslog error message, but it was something like:

GStreamer - Could not convert static caps "!`phmcadion/x-rtp,
media=(string)video, payload=(int)[ 96, 127 ], clock-rate=(int)[ 1,
2147483647 ], encoding-name=(string)MP4V-ES"

As the MIME TYPE looked like garbage, I just grep(1)ed the filesystem searching for that string, and I found some binary file at /home/user/.gstreamer-0.10/registry.arm.bin. I backed up the file, remove it, and everything started working again (the file was recreated but with a very different content).

I have no idea how the symlink or the gstreamer file got broken, except maybe because of the unexpected reboot because of the broken batterypatch, but still, is really strange.

Anyway... Lessons learned:

  • Maemo (Nokia) bugzilla is useless for getting help
  • Install syslogd to debug Nokia N900 problems
  • The maemo developers mailing list is your friend

Conclusion: Reflash my ass!

There, I fixed it!

by Leandro Lucarella on 2011- 07- 04 02:17 (updated on 2011- 07- 04 02:17)
tagged bike, diy, en, fix, flashlight, hack, ligh, self - with 0 comment(s)

My cheap bike front light is not very water resistant...

There, I fixed it! (1) There, I fixed it! (2) There, I fixed it! (3) There, I fixed it! (4)

RSS feed (and other problems) fixed

by Leandro Lucarella on 2010- 06- 01 00:08 (updated on 2010- 06- 01 00:08)
tagged en, feed, fix, rss, self - with 0 comment(s)

After moving my home page (and this blog) from home to a proper (VPS) hosting, there were some problems because I have to migrate from Apache to LIGHTTPD.

The RSS feed was affected, so if you read this blog using an aggregator, you probably didn't received any updates in the last weeks. I also fixed some other problems that made the feed not W3C valid. Fortunately now it is. =)